I don’t need to tell you about all the harmful chemicals in “normal” deodorants, everyone knows them by now. Here is a great post if you aren’t up to speed yet. But the main reason people keep going back to antiperspirants is because it stops you from perspiring..(duh! thanks aluminium..) and so stops you from being smelly. Natural Deodorant does not do that so that leads people to think it doesn’t actually work.
I will fill you in on my natural deodorant story before I get to the facts.
I received my first ever natural deodorant with my Good Green Box Subscription. It was from a company called Pure Deo Co. – an Australian based company dedicated to selling all natural skin care. I figured I would give it a go, what have I got to lose? Apparently the ability not to smell like a barnyard animal!! I chose to start using natural deodorant during the middle of summer and I stank! Christmas Day I couldn’t hug anyone or get within 4 feet of people for fear they would smell my aroma. I couldn’t believe that something all natural had let me down so badly.
But this story does have a happy ending.. I figured I must have done something wrong, so I did a bit of googling and found out that your body needs to detox after you stop using “normal” deodorant. If that doesn’t tell you that there is something wrong with “normal” deodorant then I don’t know what will.
So this detox could take anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks. It took me 2 weeks. Then the stink went away, like magic! All I could smell now was the delightful musk of my natural deodorant. I did it! I made it through detox and I am pleased to say that I am still using natural deodorant.
Natural Deodorant – Should be the new normal!
Now, what you need to know about deodorant:
- Everyone goes through detox. You will smell. You will smell bad. But only for 2-3 weeks. Apart from good old aluminium to block up the pores, antiperspirants use antimicrobial agents to kill the bacteria living on your skin. Ingredients like coconut oil, beeswax (sourced ethically of course) and sodium bicarbonate can do the same thing. So just power through it and don’t do what I did and detox through the middle of summer.
- Another reason people don’t like deodorants is because most contain sodium bicarbonate which some people believe causes sensitivity. That is not the case. The build up of toxins and heavy metals escaping your skin causes this sensitivity. Pure Deo Co. has a Detox Deodorant that helps with this process, I have not used so I can not vouch for it. But I do vouch for their other products, so I think it would be a good investment during the cross over.
- As opposed to damaging your skin and blocking your sweat ducts like antiperspirants, deodorants are actually good for your skin. Most contain nourishing ingredients like coconut oil, jojoba oil and shea butter.
- For those that produce a lot of sweat and end up with wet pits after a good work out, there are some brands that use ingredients like cornstarch and silica to help soak up the sweat or use an astringent like coriander to tighten up the sweat pores.
- Many brands use essential oils, so you get the benefits of aromatherapy throughout your day! Lavender, Geranium, Lemon and Tea Tree Oil are all natural body deodorizers.
If you would like a review on some of the most popular deodorants go here – They also include a rather amusing whiff and wet test.
Personally I have used the Pure Deo Co, like I said before, and thoroughly recommend it. I have just started using the Black Chicken Remedies Axilla Deodorant Paste. It has only natural and certified organic ingredients, pure essential oils and botanical extracts. Another fantastic buy when you are ready to give natural deodorants a go.
You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using a deodorant. Give it a try and let me know your results!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a commission if you buy items through that website.